Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Today's tip

Know where you are hitting at different distances. You can bet that Max, Dave, and Robbie know exactly where their bullet is going 100% of the time. You should too. This is one advantage of shooting our fun shoots.

I'll explain. The "fun shoot" is an accuracy sport. Much more so than most of think USPSA is, though you're wrong to think that. Fun shoots are untimed, so there is no focus on time in them like there is in USPSA, but to be good at either you have to have the same foundation ACCURACY.

If you prepare properly for a fun shoot you will sight in at a particular distance. I like 15 yards because it is kind of an average distance for both the fun shoots and USPSA. At 15 yards I like my point of impact to be exactly the same as my point of aim. Then I shoot at 5, 10, 20, and 25 yards holding the same point of aim. Typically, the point of impact will be different at some or all of these distances, depending on the sights and caliber, due to the trajectory of the bullet and the difference of the sight plane and the center of the bore. I note these differences on paper and then calculate exactly where I need to hold the sights to hit dead center. I test and ammend these notes as needed until they are perfect. These hold offs are very important if you want to shoot a high score at a fun shoot, but you should know them for USPSA too. Particularly if there are no-shoots or hard cover. I'll bet very few of us do this and that's why I think the fun shoots are so valuable for USPSA shooters. And they're fun.

By the way the gun show is in York this weekend. Come shoot the fun shoot Saturday and do the show afterwards, or hit the show on Sunday. It's at the fairgrounds Saturday 9-5, and Sunday 9-3.

No comments: